Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Good Direction

Here is another update email from Todd

****************************

Dear Friends and Family:

The outpouring of love and support has been humbling to say the least. Thank you. We feel incredibly blessed to have such wonderful people in our lives. We can literally feel your thoughts and prayers. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. (Don’t stop.)

Here’s an update: My original note was written about 36 hours after the incident: it is now Tuesday, May 6. Preston is making what we feel is excellent progress. He has been moved from Critical Care to his own room on the Acute Therapy floor. He begins Physical and Occupational Therapy today. There is still a significant amount of pain, but it’s being managed well. When he is awake he is lucid, conversational and very upbeat. And he maintains a cute sense of humor. I can’t express how proud I am of him. He has demonstrated superb character throughout this ordeal.

Though his official prognosis is still paralysis from the waist down, his mind is in the right place. Preston is determined to work hard and get back on his feet. (That attitude alone will ensure success, regardless...) And we are 100 percent behind him, as I know all of you are. Thank you. Many of you have shared inspiring stories of people you know that have overcome incredible odds. Thank you. Most all of you have expressed your own belief in miracles and the power of the mind to heal the body. Again, thank you. As I see it, Preston has a lot going for him… faith, the right attitude and so many friends and family all of one mind and heart. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. (Don’t stop.)

Now the real works begins. We made it through the initial crisis; we now turn down the arduous road of therapy and then onto rehab. We are not certain how long he will be in Acute Therapy, some have said maybe two weeks. Then he moves to Rehab. Again, we’re uncertain for how long, as it depends on progress.

My family is incredible, quickly adapting to this new (and temporary) normal and preparing for the next phase of normal that will surely come, but always pulling together on this incredible, albeit inconceivable, journey. I am so proud of them.

Best to all of you,

Todd and Stephanie & Family
PS. I can’t say much about the crime investigation, (some have asked) but know that the Avondale police department is pursuing it; and they are determined to apprehend the perpetrators. They have been very compassionate and a pleasure to work with.

****************************************
Preston sounds like he is moving in the right direction no matter the outcome or hard road.
Also I spoke with Steph today and she said that it might be good for us to direct our prayers to asking the Lord to bless Preston with a therapist that he can connect with. Someone that will motivate him when it feels too hard to keep trying.

4 comments:

AuntyEm said...

Preston, I love you! You are in our prayers everyday, even the little boys are praying for you! Love, Em

aunt melissa said...

Preston,
We love you so much and want you to know that not a prayer is uttered by our family without mention of your name.
We are inspired by your strength and will always be behind you in all you do.
I dated a guy who loved sharing inspiring thoughts. This one I have not forgotten.

"Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

To me this means that it doesn't matter what happened in the past, but that each day is a new day to start again and to do better, to become who you really want to be and to do amazing things. Preston, you are doing amazing things!
(your dad knows the guy who told me this-John Simmons from Granite High)

I also love this quote:
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to."
George Seaton

We love you,
Aunt Mel

skyler.maurer said...

Hey Preston
I can't begin to tell you how amazed and proud of you I am. It was so good to see you and yet so hard to see you in pain, I am always praying for you. I am continually humbled everyday to know how great you are doing, and how the Lord has blessed you with the strength to fight through everything and to be able to forgive those who have wronged you in this manner. I also think that it truly is sad when we are effected by the bad choices of others, but through these choices we can rise up and be strong. Maurer Power is truly found in the Healing Power of the Atonement that our Savior suffered through, I know that you know He has felt your pain and suffering, I am grateful for Him and I am grateful for you, thank you Preston. I love you
MAURER POWER!!!

Cassi said...

I don't know if it's right for me to comment on this but I feel like I have to. I just happened to stumble across this blog and I was shocked to find what I am reading now. I broke down in tears when I started reading what happened to Preston. I'm so sorry for your family. I know I wasn't around for long but I did love your family. I wanted to get a hold of Skyler somehow and talk to him but this is the only way I know of to communicate. Again, I'm so sorry to hear this...My thoughts and my prayers are with Preston and your family at this time.