Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Where we were, where we are now

This is a copy of an email sent by Todd:

*******************************
May 2, 2008

Dear friends and family,

By now many of you have heard somewhat of the misfortune that has befallen our family. For those of you who have not, I will recount the events of the last couple of days. For those of you who have heard, this will help fill in some of the holes.

Some details remain sketchy, as Preston has only had short periods of lucidity, due to the pain medication he is currently taking. As of this writing this is what I know.

Thursday night, Preston, our 22-year-old son, was helping a friend move in Avondale, AZ (He has been living near Phoenix for the past 8 months while attending school.). He needed to log onto the Internet but was having difficulty getting a signal, so he asked if he could borrow his friend's long board to run back to his apartment where he knew he could connect.

While on his way back, a car with two or three men in it passed by slowly then turned around and stopped near him. Preston thought they needed directions so he stopped skating and approached the car. One of the individuals got out brandishing a gun and ordered Preston to give him the bag he was carrying. Preston complied. He then demanded his cell phone. Preston said, What cell phone??He demanded it again. At this point someone in the car said something and the assailant turned toward the voice. Preston saw a moment of opportunity and quickly swung the long board he was still holding, like a baseball bat and hit the assailant on the side of his head. Preston immediately lunged, knocking him to the ground and began wrestling the gun from his hand. At this point he heard gunfire, and felt the searing pain of the bullet. Apparently one of the other men in the car also had a gun and shot Preston in the back. All three men then fled the scene in the vehicle, leaving Preston on the side of the road.

A neighbor, who also happens to be a fireman, heard the shot, called 911, came to Preston's
aide, and held him until the emergency vehicles arrived.

The bullet entered Preston's back, hit his spine and traveled up and along the spinal column and came to rest near his lung, causing severe damage to multiple vertebrae and his spinal cord. At this time he has neither feeling in nor ability to move his legs. Notwithstanding the severity of the injury to the spine, it is not necessarily life threatening, No other significant injury occurred to any organs, and blood loss was minimal. No surgery is planned at this time. Any attempt to remove the bullet would simply cause additional risk and accomplish nothing.

Preston is now in critical care at St Joseph Hospital in Phoenix. He rests well while medicated, but experiences severe pain when the medication wears off. We expect him to be here for a few more days after which he will move to another room and start physical therapy, which could continue for weeks. The doctors are of the opinion that he will remain paralyzed from the waist down.

We feel and appreciate your prayers. And ask for your continued faith and prayers on Preston's behalf. Though we must prepare for the worst-case scenario, we know miracles can happen. Indeed we expect them to happen. When those miracles will manifest and what form they take is yet to be seen, but we know and believe the hand of the Lord is watching over him and the entire family.

Messages of love and encouragement to Preston are welcome and very much appreciated, weather by email or traditional mail. I will make sure Preston receives them. Calls are also welcome. When Preston is alert he can talk on the phone so please feel free to call. Such notes and calls have a definite healing effect; we have witnessed it first hand since arriving with his brothers and sister. And we want to maintain a positive environment for him as he heals.

We appreciate so much the many acts of kindness and service we have received and ask that the Lord's blessings be with you. Thank you again. I'll send another update in a few days.

An update on Preston since I wrote the the story: He has been moved from Critical Care to his own room. He will start therapy today. He is demonstrating superb character right now. I'm very proud of him.

***************************

I will update this blog as soon as I receive more updates. I didn't want to put any contact info on this blog as it is a public one so if you want to get the number to call Preston please email me at emily@bccdev.com and I will contact you with that information.

1 comment:

skyler.maurer said...

Hey Preston
I can't begin to tell you how amazed and proud of you I am. It was so good to see you and yet so hard to see you in pain, I am always praying for you. I am continually humbled everyday to know how great you are doing, and how the Lord has blessed you with the strength to fight through everything and to be able to forgive those who have wronged you in this manner. I also think that it truly is sad when we are effected by the bad choices of others, but through these choices we can rise up and be strong. Maurer Power is truly found in the Healing Power of the Atonement that our Savior suffered through, I know that you know He has felt your pain and suffering, I am grateful for Him and I am grateful for you, thank you Preston. I love you
MAURER POWER!!!